I-20 / F-1 Visa Information Page

Contact Medaille

Buffalo Campus
18 Agassiz Circle
Buffalo, NY 14214
(716) 880-2000
(800) 292-1582

Rochester Campus
1880 S. Winton Rd.
Rochester, NY 14618
(585) 272-0030
(866) 212-2235

Photo of the framed picture of class of 2014 making an M

Once you are accepted, the next step will be to apply for an I-20 (certification of eligibility) from Medaille College.  This will certify that you have been officially accepted and verify that you have sufficient funding to cover the cost of attendance here.                                   

To obtain an I-20, all students must:

  • Apply and be accepted to Medaille College
  • Complete and sign the I-20 application.
  • Submit the deposit for tuition/fees and room/board ($200 total).
    • Students attending through one of our international exchange programs need only submit a room/board deposit of $100.


  • Provide financial documentation that shows sufficient funds to cover the cost of ONE YEAR of your education (tuition, fees, room, and board). Acceptable documents include:
    • Official bank statement(s) (must be within 30 days of applying for I-20).
    • Signed bank letter stating sufficient funds.
    • Copy of a loan approval letter.
    • Approval of additional aid or scholarship awardsFinancial support documentation from anyone other than the student (such as family member(s), agency(ies), organization(s), must be accompanied by a signed letter from the funding source stating their name, relationship to the studentand consent to support the student. 

For current costs associated with attendance, please visit: http://www.medaille.edu/admissions/tuition.

**Please note:

  • Exchange students are responsible for Room & Board charges ONLY.
  • All international students are required to live on campus, except Canadian students that are within a commutable distance from Medaille College.


Do I need a visa to study at Medaille College?


Citizens of Canada do NOT need to obtain an F-1 visa to study in the United States.  Canadian citizens can be issued a valid I-94, which will allow them to enter/study in the U.S.  They will be required to have the following documentation in order to approve the issuance of the I-94:

  • Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example).
  • The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate.
  • Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee.
  • Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend.
  • Proof of your ties to Canada.

For more information on how to obtain this, please visit:http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/student-and-exchange-visas.html.



All non-Canadian international students are required to obtain an F-1 student visa in order to study in the United States.  To apply for an F-1 Visa, you must do the following after obtaining your I-20:

  • Submit form I-901 and pay the SEVIS fee here: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/.
    Upon completing your payment, you must print a receipt, which you will need to bring to your visa interview. Receipts will no longer be mailed by SEVP.
  • Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to schedule an interview for an F-1 student visa*.
    • A list of consulates and embassies can be found at http://usembassy.state.gov/.
    • This step can take several weeks to complete so plan accordingly.
    • To help you prepare for your visa interview, go to the EducationUSA website for a list of counseling centers.

For more detailed information regarding obtaining a student visa (F-1), please visit: 





I'm grateful for the education I've received.

The instructors were knowledgeable and welcomed class discussions, with
respect for each student's contribution. I've learned how to be a more
effective leader. My capstone class gave insight on how to combine all
the education learned to operate a business. That's when I realized how
much I had sharpened my knowledge.

Medaille College © 2014   All Rights Reserved