Students in the Advanced Certificate Program for Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) must complete a 500 hour supervised MFT internship (with a minimum of 300 client contact hours.) The supervised internship experience requires a substantial time commitment on the part of the student of at least 16 hours during the week in a clinical setting (two full days or several evenings) in addition to weekend courses taken simultaneously in those three semesters.
The MFT program's rigorous requirements for supervision and clinical experience include:
- 500 hours of supervised clinical experience.
- Of these, 300 hours must be face-to-face contact with individuals, couples or families.
- To adhere to accreditation guidelines for the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT),
- 250 of the 300 hours must be with couples or families
- Must accumulate 100 hours of clinical supervision with an LMFT Supervisor, of which 50 hours must be live supervision via video, audio or live supervision. These 100 hours may be accumulated during the course of the 500 global hours or during the Practicum supervision on campus.