For New York State Teaching Certificate
Fingerprinting may be done at several authorized locations. See the Fingerprinting Location and Fees table below. DO NOT FINGERPRINT YOURSELF. Fingerprinting should be completed at the beginning of the semester PRIOR to your student teaching semester.
- Make an appointment for fingerprinting (see table below).
- Pick up a fingerprint card kit from the Office of Student Teaching and Certification. Complete the two fingerprint cards in black ink. (LEAVE BLANK: Employer and address, Reason Fingerprinted, and any other boxes that do not apply to you.) Canadian students will enter their SIN in place of social security number.
- Bring both (2) fingerprint cards with the envelope to the fingerprinting appointment and have the process completed on both cards.
- Pay the fee to have your fingerprinting done (see table).
- On the TEACH website complete the application for fingerprinting. This is the only place to register.
- Pay the fingerprint application fee on-line with a credit card. Print two (2) copies of the payment receipt.
- Place one copy of the receipt in the NYS self-addressed envelope as proof of payment with both fingerprint cards and mail to NYS.
If you follow these instructions, the process should take 6-8 weeks.
NOTE: You may track the status of your clearance on-line on the TEACH website, OR, if you think you have been fingerprinted at another time in your career, you can check on-line after you register on the TEACH website for certification.
||Contact (for appointment)
|Local Police Station
||Call local police station
||Varies from station to station
|Medaille College – Buffalo Campus
|$25.00 (U.S. funds only)
|Medaille College-Buffalo Campus
|$25.00 cash (U.S. funds only)
New York State Fingerprinting Application
- Login to your NYS Teach account at www.highered.nysed.gov.tcert/teach/.
- Select Fingerprinting Application. Your personal information (from your NYS TEACH account) will appear at the top of the page. Complete the drop down boxes with your information.
- Reason for Fingerprinting: select Teacher Certification only, and click NEXT.
- Fingerprinting Consent: Read and Sign. By signing you are stating that all the information that you entered is correct. If not, this could be grounds for NYS not granting a teaching certification.
- Make Payment: Choose your method of payment - credit card or print invoice to pay with a money order or certified check. The cost is approximately $91.25, U.S. funds.
- Print two copies of your payment receipt, one copy to keep for your records and one that will be mailed with your fingerprinting cards.
- Have your fingerprinting completed on both cards in the fingerprinting kit (see table above).
- Mail in both completed fingerprint cards with your receipt (or invoice and payment) to the address on the Fingerprinting Kit envelope.