Review the following instructions before completing and submitting the NYS Recommendation Form.
In order for Medaille College to recommend students for NYS certification, the Office of Student Teaching/Certification (OSTC) must receive a completed NYS Recommendation Form.
- Locate and print the NYS Recommendation Form for your specific program and certification area/level.
- Complete the form, including your SSN/SSI, and sign the form.
- Submit your completed form to the OSTC (Amherst campus, room 165).
By submitting this form you give Medaille College permission to access your NYS TEACH account and recommend you for a NYS teaching certificate. In addition, this form also gives Medaille College permission to send an official transcript to OCT (Canadian students only).
New York State Teaching Certification
A. Teaching Certification Office Responsibilities
- The NYS Recommendation Form is distributed to students and can be returned to Deborah Allen in The Office of Student Teaching/Certification on the Amherst Campus, Room 165, via email at email@example.com or via fax at 716 932-2614.
- After the degree conferral date, OSTC will check with the Registrar's Office to confirm students have completed all coursework; transcripts have been received; and there are no outstanding holds.
- Once a student has been cleared by the Registrar's Office, the College Recommendation is submitted to New York State Education Department through the student's TEACH account. (The process takes approximately 2 weeks)
- Each student is entered individually since a printed copy is needed for accreditation purposes.
- If a student's NYS TEACH file is incomplete, students are forwarded an email and informed of the missing information. (This must be resolved before the College Recommendation can be entered.)
- Once a College Recommendation has been entered for the student, a copy of the College Recommendation form is sent to the Registrar's Office (for Canadian students only). This form is used as a request for a Medaille transcript to then be sent to OCT. New York State students do not need this step.
- At this time, a chart is created of the students whose College Recommendation has been sent to TEACH that includes the date the College Recommendation was entered and the degree type (e.g. MSED, MSED-LIT). Students periodically telephone the office to confirm if a recommendation was sent. However, students can receive confirmation by checking their TEACH account.
B. Registrar's Office Responsibilities
- After the student has applied for graduation, the Registrar's Office will complete a pre-graduation review which lists any outstanding program requirements. A copy is sent to the student.
- When all program requirements have been fulfilled, the student's degree will be conferred (provided the student has no holds on their account).
- After degree conferral, an official Medaille College transcript is printed to be sent to OCT for Canadian education students only. [U.S. students do not need transcripts printed and sent.]
- Forwards the Medaille transcripts to OCT for Canadian education students only.