You are here

What is the definition of a disability?

A disability is defined as: a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, or working. In addition, students with chronic illness (e.g., AIDS, diabetes, seizure disorder, lupus, and psychiatric disabilities) may be eligible for services. Individuals with temporary disabilities may also be eligible to receive services through our office.

Who is eligible for services?

Any currently enrolled Medaille student with a documented disability and who is registered with the Office of Accessibility Services is eligible to be reviewed for services. However, the student is responsible for initiating contact and submitting appropriate documentation to the ODS to determine if he/she is eligible for services at Medaille College.

Medaille College is committed to making reasonable accommodations, as determined on a case-by-case basis, for any individual with a documented disability. All students, even those currently in the admissions process, should contact our office immediately if you feel you are eligible for services.

Whom do I contact?

The only way to know for certain if you are eligible for services or accommodations is to contact our office directly:

Genevieve Kruly
Coordinator of Accessibility Services
Student Support Center
(716) 566-3087

What type of documentation is needed?

Current documentation from an authorized expert in their field, such as a medical doctor, audiologist, psychologist, etc., that verifies your disability. The intake and documentation forms are required to accompany any documents. The following guidelines are provided in the interest of ensuring that documentation is appropriate to verify eligibility of a disability AND supports requests for reasonable accommodations, adjustments, and auxiliary aids and services on the basis of that disability.

  1. Documentation of disability should be provided in writing, be comprehensive, and include the following information: Clear and specific evidence of a disability: the functional limitations related to the diagnosis and medical treatment of which affect the student's current level of functioning in the university environment.
  2. In some cases, assessment procedures and evaluation instruments, including all test scores and sub-scores or test results, used to make the diagnosis.
  3. An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, or high school exit summary of performance may be submitted; however, such documents must contain or be accompanied by the testing and/or other diagnostic evaluation upon which these plans are based. A submission of these plans are not a guarantee of receipt of accommodations but are helpful in making a decision.
  4. Documentation for eligibility should be current, preferably within the last three years. It is in a student's best interest to provide recent and relevant documentation because the provision of all reasonable accommodations and services is based upon assessment of the current impact of the student's disability on his/her academic performance.
  5. Professionals conducting assessment and rendering diagnoses of a disability must be qualified to do so. Diagnostic reports should include the names, titles, and professional credentials (e.g., licensed psychologist) of the evaluators as well as the dates(s) of testing. Experience in working with an adult population is essential. The diagnostician must be impartial and not a family member.

If your disability is temporary, the verification must also state the earliest date at which services will no longer be needed.

It is the student's responsibility to obtain appropriate documentation and submit it for consideration. The student will bear the cost, if any, of obtaining such documentation. Pending receipt of documentation, the College reserves the right to deny services or accommodations until such documents are received and reviewed.

When and where should documentation be sent?

Documentation should be sent directly to the Coordinator of Accessibility Services. Documentation should be submitted as soon as possible. It will then be reviewed and a decision will be made in a timely manner as to the nature of the disability and what, if any, accommodations will be made. Information forwarded to our office will be kept confidential, within the Accessibility Services Team. The information will not be given to Admissions, Faculty, or other areas not directly related to the Office of Accessibility Services without the student's written consent. It can be faxed to:

Our office is located in the first floor of the Academic Support Center, H107. We can be reached by phone at (716) 566-3088.

Once a student is registered with ODS their responsibilities are:

  1. Prior to or at the beginning of each semester meet with the Coordinator to verify accommodations are sought for each class. Notify the Coordinator if all, some or none of your instructors should be notified.
  2. In the case that you do not meet with the coordinator, your professors will not be notified of the accommodations you have sought.
  3. Open a dialogue with your professors. It is your responsibility to make them aware you will need to take a quiz or test in the Academic Support Center or need to sit in a specific location. They have more students to remember than you have professors.
  4. Meet the requisite qualifications and essential technical standards; both academic and institutional, including the student code of conduct
  5. Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic.
  6. Feel free to contact the Coordinator of Accessibility Services at any time during the semester if you want to talk about your academic progress, to discuss your academic adjustments, etc.

View the Office of Accessibility Services Manual


Student Success Center
Student CUccess Center

Contact Us

Genevieve Kruly
Coordinator of Accessibility Services
Student Support Center
(in the Academic Support Center)
Huber 101
(716) 566-3088

Reference Material

Apply Now

Undergraduate Programs

First time freshmen, transfer students and students who wish to apply for associate or bachelor’s degree programs.

Graduate Programs

Students who wish to apply for master’s degree programs or advanced certifications.

Online Programs

Students who wish to apply for our online-only degree programs.

You are here

Request Information

There’s no better time than now to take the next step in your education. Request information for a Medaille College program below...

Undergraduate Programs
First-time freshmen and transfer students looking for the full on-campus college experience.

Adult and Graduate Programs
Working professionals and adults who've been out of school for a while, looking to advance their careers.

Online Programs
Students looking to earn a degree entirely online.

Visit Medaille

Undergraduate Programs

High school students and transfer students who want to enroll in day classes at the Buffalo campus.

Adult and Graduate Programs

Adult learners applying to our undergraduate or graduate degree programs at either our Buffalo or Rochester campuses.

Online Programs

Adult learners applying to our online undergraduate or graduate degree programs.