Immunization Requirements

You are here

Immunization Requirements

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all college students born on or after January 1, 1957 to provide proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella.  Students who fail to complete this requirement will not be permitted to attend classes, participate in the athletic program, or register for subsequent classes.

The following immunizations are required of every student born on or after January 1, 1957:

MEASLES – TWO doses of LIVE measles vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity are required.  Immunizations must be at least 30 days apart. Immunizations prior to January 1, 1968 must be documented as being a live vaccine in order to be valid.

MUMPS – ONE dose of LIVE mumps vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity is required.

RUBELLA – ONE dose of LIVE rubella vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity is required.

Measles, mumps, and rubella immunizations are given free of charge at the Student Health Office.  Please call (716) 880-2112 to arrange an appointment.


New York State Public Health Law (NYS PHL) §2167 requires institutions, including colleges and universities, to distribute information about meningococcal disease and vaccine to all students.  The College is required to maintain a record of the following for each student:

  • A record of meningococcal immunization within the past 5 years; OR
  • An acknowledgement of meningococcal disease risks and refusal of meningococcal immunization signed by the student or student’s parent or guardian. 

Meningococcal disease is rare.  However, when it strikes, its flu‑like symptoms make diagnosis difficult.  Meningococcal disease can cause serious illnesses such as infection of the lining of the brain and spinal column (meningitis) or blood infections (sepsis).  The disease strikes quickly and can lead to severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damage, seizures, limb amputation and even lead to death.

Meningococcal disease can be easily spread from person-to-person by coughing, sharing beverages or eating utensils, kissing, or spending time in close contact with someone who is sick or who carries the bacteria. People can spread the bacteria that causes meningococcal disease even before they know they are sick. There have been several outbreaks of meningococcal disease at college campuses across the United States.

The single best way to prevent meningococcal disease is to be vaccinated.  The meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine protects against four major strains of bacteria which cause about two-thirds of meningococcal disease in the United States (U.S.).  The MenACWY vaccine is recommended for all U.S. teenagers and young adults up to age 21 years.  Protection from the MenACWY vaccine is estimated to last about 3 to 5 years, so young adults who received the MenACWY vaccine before their 16th birthday should get a booster dose before entering college.  The meningococcal B (MenB) vaccine protects against a fifth type of meningococcal disease, which accounts for about one-third of cases in the U.S.  Young adults aged 16 through 23 years may choose to receive the MenB vaccine series.  They should discuss the MenB vaccine with a healthcare provider.

Vaccination may be obtained off campus from a health care provider, pharmacy, urgent care center, or travel clinic. Fees and insurance coverage varies; please check with your provider.

Please carefully review the Meningococcal Disease Fact Sheet.  In order to be in compliance with the law, you must submit documentation from your medical provider with a valid meningitis vaccine date within the last 5 years, or you must sign a waiver stating that you are aware of the risk of meningitis disease but wish to refuse the immunization.

Students who fail to complete the immunization requirements will not be permitted to attend classes if this information is not submitted within 30 days of the first day of classes. They will also not be allowed to register for subsequent classes.

Immunization Record Form

If you need an immunization record form. Immunization records will be kept on file for ten years and then destroyed. Students may obtain a copy of their immunization record by submitting written request to the Health Center secretary. Our immunization release form is also available.

Tetanus Vaccination

A recent tetanus vaccination is a requirement of the Veterinary Technician Program and qualified students may receive it at the Student Health Center for a $20 charge. Students should contact the Health Center to schedule an appointment.

Flu Vaccinations

Flu vaccinations are available at a clinic at each of the campuses during the Fall semester. The date and time of the clinic at each campus will be posted well in advance. Many insurances are accepted for payment although co-payments or deductibles may apply. For those insurances not accepted, cash or check will be required at the time of the clinic.

Apply Now

Undergraduate Programs

First time freshmen, transfer students and students who wish to apply for associate or bachelor’s degree programs.

Graduate Programs

Students who wish to apply for master’s degree programs or advanced certifications.

Online Programs

Students who wish to apply for our online-only degree programs.

You are here

Request Information

There’s no better time than now to take the next step in your education. Request information for a Medaille College program below...

Undergraduate Programs
First-time freshmen and transfer students looking for the full on-campus college experience.

Adult and Graduate Programs
Working professionals and adults who've been out of school for a while, looking to advance their careers.

Online Programs
Students looking to earn a degree entirely online.

Visit Medaille

Undergraduate Programs

High school students and transfer students who want to enroll in day classes at the Buffalo campus.

Adult and Graduate Programs

Adult learners applying to our undergraduate or graduate degree programs at either our Buffalo or Rochester campuses.

Online Programs

Adult learners applying to our online undergraduate or graduate degree programs.