Medaille College HEOP Summer Academy
Congratulations on your acceptance into the HEOP at Medaille College.
We are so happy to have you as an incoming freshman for this upcoming academic year. As you know, a requirement of officially becoming an HEOP scholar is to participate in our Summer Academy.
2021 Academy Schedule & Important Dates
Friday, July 9 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Friday, July 9 at 5 p.m.
Meet -n- Greet
Friday, July 9 at 7 p.m.
Student Shopping Day
Saturday, July 10 at 1 p.m.
Summer Academy Begins
Monday, July 12
Summer Academy Ends
Friday, August 6
Please note, Summer Academy scholars must be moved out of the residence hall by Saturday, August 7, 2021, at the very latest.
The residence halls are your “home away from home”, the place you hang with your friends, prepare for your classes, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Every room is equipped with the following:
- 2 beds
- 2 desks
- 2 dressers
- 2 chairs
- 2 closets or wardrobes
- 1 lamp
- Cable service
- Wireless and LAN internet accessibility
You and your roommate may decide to bring:
- School Supplies: backpack, computer/Ethernet card & cable, flash drive, dictionary, envelopes, highlighters, post-it notes, notebooks, folders, binders, organizer, pens, pencils, pictures, posters, scissors, stamps
- Kitchen Supplies: can opener, coffee mug, cups, plates, silverware, refrigerator (max size-4 cu ft/UL approved/hermetically sealed/drawing power of 4/10 amps), microwave, food & snacks, drinks, Keurig coffeemaker
- Personal Care: variety of clothes, sneakers/shoes/flip-flops, bathroom bucket, first aid kit/medicine, hangers, iron & ironing board, laundry basket, detergent, linens, razor/shaver, sewing kit, safety pins, tissues, toiletries, towels
- For the Room: alarm clock, desk lamp, drying rack, surge protectors, fan, pictures & poster to hang-up (NO TAPE or TACKS they tear the paint – Scotch® Clear Mounting Squares work the best), plants, playing cards, games, rug, stereo, TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, iPod, phone, umbrella, comfort items
- Miscellaneous: bedding for a standard twin mattress, pillow, address/phone book, batteries, camera, keychain, money/ATM card, ID, medical insurance card, computer
NOTE: You cannot mount a flat screen TV (or anything else) to the wall and cleaning services are NOT provided
Applies to Friday, July 9 - Saturday, August 6, 2021
I acknowledge the contagious nature of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and that the CDC and many other public health authorities still recommend practicing social distancing.
I further acknowledge that the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
I further acknowledge that the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College can not guarantee that I will not become infected with the Coronavirus/COVID-19. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to and/or infected by the Coronavirus/COVID-19 may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, HEOP staff, HEOP freshmen cohort, peer mentors, employees, and their families.
I have willingly chosen to participate in the off campus activities provided by the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College and acknowledge that I am increasing my risk to exposure to the Coronavirus/COVID-19. I acknowledge that I must comply with all set procedures to reduce the spread while attending my appointment.
I attest that:
- I am not experiencing any symptom of illness such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell.
- If needed, I can provide a negative COVID test or proof of vaccination.
- I do not believe I have been exposed to someone with a suspected and/or confirmed case of the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
- I have not been diagnosed with Coronavirus/COVID-19 and not yet cleared as non contagious by state or local public health authorities.
- I am following all CDC recommended guidelines as much as possible and limiting my exposure to the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
I hereby release and agree to hold the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College from, and waive on behalf of myself, my heirs, and any personal representatives any and all causes of action, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses and compensation for damage or loss to myself and/or property that may be caused by any act, or failure to act of the salon, or that may otherwise arise in any way in connection with any services received from the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College.
I understand that this release discharges the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College from any liability or claim that I, my heirs, or any personal representatives may have against the Higher Education Opportunity Program or Medaille College with respect to any bodily injury, illness, death, medical treatment, or property damage that may arise from, or in connection to, any services received from the Higher Education Opportunity Program at Medaille College.
Hey! My name’s Emmanuel Wright and I will be your HEOP summer peer mentor. I am an aspiring Junior studying Law & Society at Medaille College. I am a Say Yes student and serve as an advocate for student success on our campus. Once I finish my degree, I plan on becoming an attorney! While growing up in Buffalo, NY, I always dreamed of changing my environment and leaving a legacy of excellence. I look forward to doing this with you all.
My name is Mariko Price and I am your HEOP Peer Mentor for this year. I’m a senior this year and my major is biology here at Medaille. I’m originally from Cleveland and somehow found myself out here in Buffalo! During this year I hope you will see me as a guide for any questions or concerns you have. I know what it’s like to be far from home so don’t be afraid to ask me anything. On campus I am also a part of Residence Hall Association as a backup member to help plan events for those who dorm! I’m also involved in campus ministries with Pastor Paul. Freshman year I also played volleyball here, so I feel for all my athletes, if there are any.
I am here to help guide you all and encourage you through this year. I’m here to be a friendly guide! Feel free to reach out via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can’t wait to meet everyone for the summer program!
- Come prepared each day! Complete course readings and bring assignments, writing utensils and other necessary materials for classes.
- Participate in class discussions.
- Respect fellow classmates' opinions.
- Be on time for all classes and HEOP functions.
- Submit all assigned homework in a timely fashion.
- Please show respect for instructors, staff members, tutors, counselors and your classmates.
- Please be aware and alert during class time.
- Practice academic integrity.
Students will attend all items on the HEOP Summer Academy Master Schedule. Students will be on time and stay for the entirety of these activities.
Students will come prepared and ready to engage during these activities.
Students should not use laptops or computers unless directed by the presenters.
Off-Campus Activities: Etiquette
- Students will appropriately represent the program, the College, and themselves at all times during off‐campus travel, events, and meals.
- When required, students will wear HEOP Proud t‐shirts. Students should plan to wash clothes regularly and should not alter t‐shirts to ensure professional appearance.
- Students should monitor their language (inappropriate language, cursing, etc).
- Students should be attentive and not using their phone or other devices.
- Students will be on time for all departures/meet‐ups, as directed by staff for all events and activities off‐campus.
- Students will not leave campus unless part of a sponsored activity. Any non‐emergency exceptions must have prior approval from the Director.
- Students will not invite or meet up with guests during any sponsored off‐campus activity.
- STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED OFF CAMPUS DURING SUMMER ACADEMY WITHOUT DIRECT PERMISSION FROM HEOP ASSISTANT DIRECTOR.
General Safety Rules & Regulations
- Students are responsible for personal items, including phones, clothing, laptops, ID cards, keys, etc. Residence hall rooms should be locked any time the student is not in the room.
- You will be responsible for the cost and fine(s) associated with any misplaced, damaged, lost or stolen items (e.g key, ID, laptop, microfridge, meal card, text books, bus tickets, calcula-tors, etc., which INCLUDES room/building lockouts).
- Students are not allowed to have nor attend parties during HEOP Summer Academy.
- Bias/Harassment: Bias/harassment towards a person based on their race, religion, gender, ethnicity/national origin, sexual preference, or sexual orientation will not be tolerated by Medaille College. Any student found to be a victim of such may file charges against another student. Conduct involving verbal, mental or physical assault and/or abuse, including harassment, intimidation, or other conduct that recklessly or intentionally endangers or threatens the health, safety, or welfare of any person on College‐owned or leased property or at College‐sponsored activities is cause for disciplinary action.
- Theft of any sort is not tolerated. Stealing is a crime. Please report any alleged incidences to HEOP Summer Academy Staff.
- Weapons of any kind are not permitted. Weapons include, but are not limited to, bows, arrows, firearms, switchblades, knives, and/or instruments used in performance of lethal martial arts.
Residence Hall Rules
- Students are responsible for their ID cards, which also serve as a room key.
- Students are responsible for their personal items, and should keep their doors locked when they are not there.
- Students are not allowed to have any outside visitors in their residence halls or other campus facilities.
- Students must abide by Medaille College community standards regarding noise level, quiet hours, cleanliness, damage and other aspects of residential living.
- Candles and incense cannot be burned in the residence hall.
- Students will be responsible for any damages to residence hall furniture.
- Students will abstain from the use of alcohol or illegal substances.
- Students are provided with a meal plan. You are required to be present for ALL meals unless instructed otherwise by HEOP staff member.
- Monday through Wednesday, students must pick up breakfast between 8am-9am, lunch between 12:30pm-1:30pm, and dinner between 4:00pm-5:00pm.
- Thursday through Friday, students may to go through the dining lines during the operating hours of the Dining Hall: breakfast and lunch between 7:30am-2:00pm, dinner between 5:00pm-7:00pm. Dining Hall is closed between 2:00pm-5:00pm.
- Students may dine in the dining hall during the meal times.