Counseling Services

You are here

Dear Students,
We wanted you to know that the Wellness Center/Student Counseling Center is closed for in person sessions.  However, please know that Medaille College Student Counseling Center counselors are still available through online appointments.  Here is the process:

  • Call for an appointment (716) 880-2341 or complete the online Intake Forms (new clients)
  • Have a computer/smart device/mobile phone
  • Complete the required teleservices/teletherapy consent form and return via e-mail (this will be sent to you when you request an appointment)
  • Use the link provided by your therapist to connect for your session using


  • If you or a friend are in crisis there is help available by calling Crisis Services at (716) 834-3131 or the Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.  These services are available 24/7

Help Is Available

The Student Counseling Center at Medaille is a professionally staffed clinical counseling, consultation, training and outreach center geared toward the holistic well-being of Medaille’s student body.


At Medaille’s Student Counseling Center, our mission is to enhance student potential for learning and success, and to promote the emotional health and well-being of the campus community through the delivery of responsive, trauma-informed, empirically-based, and culturally competent mental health services for all Medaille College students.

back to top

Counseling Center Staff

Counseling Staff

Rosalina Rizzo, LCSW-R
Clinical Director
(716) 880-2339

Deniese Reding
Senior Counselor/ Student Advocate
(716) 880-2246

back to top

Scheduling an Appointment

How do I make an appointment?

Appointments can be made in person or by telephone at (716) 880-2339.

You can also obtain an appointment by completing the intake paperwork on line at this secure link

Once you have completed your Intake questionnaire and have submitted your information, you will be contacted within 2 business days to schedule an appointment.  Should you have any questions, please contact the Student Counseling Center at (716) 880-2339

The Counseling Center is located within the Wellness Center at 117 Humboldt on the Buffalo Campus.

If you cannot wait for an appointment because your situation is urgent and/or you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please walk in and ask for an emergency mental health appointment. You will be seen by a staff member as soon as possible.

If you or someone you know are experiencing a crisis or psychological emergency after business hours, please dial 911, or contact Crisis Services at (716) 834-3131, or go to your local hospital’s emergency room. In addition Medaille College Public Safety can be reached at 716-880-2911.

back to top

Counseling Center Services

Counseling Services

Student Counseling Services are available free of charge to all registered, matriculated Medaille students.  Student Counseling is located in the Wellness Center at 117 Humboldt Parkway.  Individual and group counseling services are available to address a wide range of concerns and/or problems.

Some typical concerns addressed include:


  • Academic stress

  • Adjustment to college

  • Alcohol or substance abuse

  • Anger management

  • Anxiety

  • Death of someone close

  • Depression

  • Eating concerns and body image

  • Or any other concern which may impact a student’s academic success or personal well being

  • Family concerns

  • LGBTQ support

  • Loneliness

  • Relationship issues

  • Separation and divorce

  • Sexuality and decision making

  • Sexual or physical victimization

  • Stress management

Medaille Counseling Services utilizes a short term model of individual counseling. You and your assigned counselor will discuss how frequently you will be seen.
When students require mental health services that are beyond the scope of Medaille Student Counseling Services, we will make referrals to community resources.  Some of the issues that are commonly addressed through referral to community providers include:

  • The need to be seen more frequently than bi-weekly
  • The inability or unwillingness to provide the necessary information to thoroughly access symptoms
  • Non-compliance with treatment recommendations
  • The need for specialized services not available through Medaille Student Counseling Services such as intensive outpatient substance abuse, eating disorder, or mood disorder treatment, inpatient services, court mandated assessment or treatment requirements.

How are counseling services accessed?

Students may complete intake forms at  Once forms have been submitted, the student will be contacted within 2 business days for appointment scheduling.  Students may also call the office at (716) 880-2339 or (716) 880- 2246 to schedule.  If you need sooner assistance, you may walk in to the Wellness Center at 117 Humboldt Parkway (Monday-Friday 8AM-4PM).  If you are having an emergency and are on campus, call Public Safety at (716)880-2911.  If you are off campus, call 911 for emergency assistance.

Student Advocacy Through Case Management

What is Case Management?

It is common for students to experience difficulty at some point during their college career.  This can be related to academic pressures, personal issues, or physical/mental health problems.  Case management services are offered to help students safely and effectively navigate such challenges and stay on the path towards academic success. 

The Student Advocate may help a student:

  • Identify and problem-solve barriers to academic and personal success.
  • Assess the type of assistance and resources needed.
  • Explore personal strengths, self-care and wellness strategies.
  • Develop or strengthen their support system.
  • Navigate and access on- and off-campus resources.
  • Stay on track with identified goals.
  • Overcome obstacles in accessing help.
  • Transition back to campus after a medical leave of absence, hospitalization, or difficult life circumstance.
  • Proactively address problems/stressors to avert more serious difficulties.

How is a student referred for case management?

A student can be referred to case management services by faculty/staff, family, or a fellow student when they have concerns for a student's well-being.  (Please note: the student must be aware and agreeable to being referred to case management.)  This can be done by completing the online form at: or by calling the Student Counseling Center at (716) 880-2246 or (716) 880-2339.

Students can also self-refer and contact the Student Advocate directly in order to access support and assistance. 

Psychological Testing

Psychological and cognitive testing is possible through a collaboration with the Medaille College PsyD department  and is dependent on availability.  Faculty or staff may make a referral for this service.  Please complete the referral form at: or call (716) 880-2246 for more information.



back to top


Other Online Resources:


The Counseling Center does not guarantee the reliability of information on the links that are not necessarily operated by Medaille College. We do not review or monitor the content of non-Medaille websites. Links are provided as a service to our visitors. Please note that the views and opinions expressed on those links are those of various governmental departments, schools and agencies and their officials and are not necessarily those of Medaille College and/or its members. Medaille College is not responsible for the content of non-Medaille websites. Your use of these websites is subject to the terms and conditions of those sites.

Please note that many of these sites refer to services and provide phone numbers that are not associated with Medaille College. If you are interested in determining if similar services are available at Medaille College, please contact our Counseling Center at (716) 880-2339.

Resources for Parents

Students can benefit greatly from informed and involved parents. As you are well aware, the balance of providing support, remaining connected and facilitating independence can be very challenging. This balance nonetheless is an important one.

It requires patience and self-nurturance. It requires remembering that mistakes are inevitable and these mistakes are opportunities for growth.

Best wishes to you and your family as you venture on this new and sometimes challenging journey. Listed below are some links that you may find of benefit.

Self-Help and Mental Health Resources

The information on our website and in our Self-Help Library is not a substitute for help from a qualified mental health professional. Please do not hesitate to contact the Counseling Center at (716) 880-2339 or in person at 117 Humboldt Parkway .

Self-Help Resources

The Counseling Office provides brochures on a wide range of topics. These can be found at the Counseling Center at 117 Humboldt Parkway, and in various departments across campus.

Additional Online Resources

Sexual Assault Risk Reduction and Bystander Information

back to top

Apply Now

Undergraduate Programs

First time freshmen, transfer students and students who wish to apply for associate or bachelor’s degree programs.

Graduate Programs

Students who wish to apply for master’s degree programs or advanced certifications.

Online Programs

Students who wish to apply for our online-only degree programs.

You are here

Request Information

There’s no better time than now to take the next step in your education. Request information for a Medaille College program below...

Undergraduate Programs
First-time freshmen and transfer students looking for the full on-campus college experience.

Adult and Graduate Programs
Working professionals and adults who've been out of school for a while, looking to advance their careers.

Online Programs
Students looking to earn a degree entirely online.

Visit Medaille

Undergraduate Programs

High school students and transfer students who want to enroll in day classes at the Buffalo campus.

Adult and Graduate Programs

Adult learners applying to our undergraduate or graduate degree programs at either our Buffalo or Rochester campuses.

Online Programs

Adult learners applying to our online undergraduate or graduate degree programs.