Academic Advisement Center: Advisors for Class Scheduling, Academic Policies and Program Requirements

Academic Advisement Center

Academic Advisement

The Academic Advisement team is here to assist you with questions regarding class scheduling, academic policies and program requirements. Focused on your success at Medaille University, our goal is to help you graduate on time!

Academic Advisement Center
Huber 117
(716) 880-2227
Fax (716) 884-2236

Semester Hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Summer Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

The following information is tailored to traditional undergraduate students and their families. Post-traditional students, please contact us at (716) 880-2569 or for advisement. Looking to learn about University policies, degree requirements, deadlines and important dates? View our academic catalogs and calendars.


AP/Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement and Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement (A.P.) and College-Level Credit
High school students may earn Medaille University credit by taking college-level courses in their high schools. A formal examination at the completion of the course is required with scoring processed through the College Board (see Academic Catalog). If a student has taken any advanced placement (A.P.) courses, or any other college-level courses during high school, the student will need to ensure final transcripts, both from the high school and from the college granting the credit, are sent to the Medaille University Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Transcripts will then be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for review and evaluation.

Transfer Credit

What is the procedure to transfer credit to Medaille from another collegiate institution?
If you're planning to take a course at another institution, you should contact the Office of the Registrar /student-services/registrar for proper guidelines. You should receive approval from the Registrar in advance of taking the course. A course description from the other institution must be provided when making the request. It is also important to review you plan with an academic advisor before completing the course.

Please note, students must earn their final 30 credits at Medaille University, if enrolled in a bachelor's degree program. If enrolled in an associate degree program, students must earn their final 15 credits from Medaille University. See the Academic Catalog for more information.


Undeclared Students

Undeclared Students

As a freshman, you might not be sure which program of study matches your interests and abilities. Instead of declaring a major immediately, you may remain "undeclared" for several semesters. You may declare a major program of study at any time, however, you must declare it before you complete 48 credit hours (see Academic Catalog).

Students who are undeclared have the opportunity to explore courses in various majors and take advantage of interest inventories and other help from a career counselor. Medaille's Career Planning Center offers a range of services to help students clarify their interests and skills, as well as learn about career options and employment opportunities. Be sure to speak with faculty about your interests, too. Your advisor can refer you to the appropriate department/faculty member.

In order to declare a major, the student must fill out a Change of Status form with an advisor.

Advisement Procedures

Advisement Procedures

What is Academic Advisement?
Each student matriculating at Medaille University is assigned an academic advisor, who will assist the student in developing realistic educational career and life goals. Each student is required to meet with their advisor on a regular basis to make their class schedules and discuss their progress. Questions regarding schedule changes, academic policies and program requirements should also be directed to their advisor.

Who is my advisor?
Every Medaille University student is assigned an advisor. Students are notified of their advisor assignment within the first two weeks of their first semester. Advisors are available both day and evening hours on weekdays to provide a wide variety of academic advisement services, meeting the varied needs of all students. Academic advisors work with students from freshman through senior year. If you are unsure as to who your advisor is, the assignment may be found on Medaille360 or at the AAC.

What is my advisor's role?
Your academic advisor is responsible to:

  • assist students in developing an academic plan that satisfies graduation requirements;
  • monitor students' progress and help students make appropriate program adaptations;
  • discuss academic, career and life goals with students;
  • become personally acquainted with students;
  • refer students, when needed, to appropriate services;
  • provide information related to University programs, services and policies;
  • inform students of changes in their course of study;
  • maintain regular and adequate office hours;
  • collect and distribute student data as needed.

What is the student's role?
The student (or advisee) is responsible to:

  • meet regularly with advisor to work through academic, career and life goals;
  • make use of appropriate campus and community services to meet goals;
  • read the academic catalog /academics/course-catalogs and course schedule in order to select courses;
  • make and keep appointments with your advisor;
  • know the requirements of a chosen program and ensure those requirements are met.
Schedule & Registration

Developing Your Schedule and Registering for Classes

How does a student select courses and plan a schedule?
When developing a schedule, a student should:

  • Use a program evaluation sheet as a guide. The program evaluation sheet lists all of the degree requirements. If you do not have a copy of your evaluation, one may be provided at the Academic Advisement Center.
  • Be mindful of course descriptions and prerequisites listed in the Academic Catalog
    •     For example, you must complete ENG 110 (College Writing) before you can take ENG 200 (Advanced College Writing)
  • Choose courses from the course schedule. We recommend students make a list of courses and times that are convenient for them, and write down any questions they may have for their advisor.
  • Make an appointment with their advisor to discuss a proposed schedule. Students may not register for classes until they've met with an advisor.

How many credits should I register for?
Most students take five courses, yielding 15-16 credits, per semester. Those who wish to be full-time students must register for a minimum of 12 credits per semester. Students are typically limited to 18 credits per semester, unless given special permission to register for a larger course load.

Why do most Education students register for 18 credits each semester?
Typically, most degrees require 120 credit hours. An Education degree requires additional credits. Therefore, students must complete 18 credits each semester, in order to stay on track to graduate in four years.

What is the registration process?
Registration occurs for returning students in October/November for the spring semester and March/April for the summer/fall semesters, during the dates advertised. The course schedule is available prior to the start of student advisement. All students must meet with an academic advisor to discuss the upcoming schedule and register for classes. Students with absolute holds will be unable to process their registration util the hold is removed by the office where the hold has been placed.

Changing Courses/Major

Making Changes: Schedule, Course Load, Major or Minor

How do I make changes to my schedule (drop/add courses)?
A student must drop or add courses within any particular semester before the drop/add deadline, listed in the Academic Calendar. Students are required to fill out a drop/add worksheet with their advisor and process the worksheet in the Academic Advisement Center. Please note, students must have approval from an advisor in order to make changes to a schedule.

How do I withdraw from a course?
In order to withdraw from a course after the drop/add period, a student must complete a Course Withdrawal form with an academic advisor. The completed form must be submitted to the Registrar. A student must withdraw from a course before the withdrawal deadline, listed in the Academic Calendar. A grade of "W" appears on the transcript for an official withdrawal. A course withdrawal may affect tuition and financial aid; students may direct questions to Student Accounts and Financial Aid.

Nonattendance does not constitute a withdrawal from a course.

How can I declare or change my major?
In order to declare or change a major, a student must fill out a Change of Status form with an advisor. If a student is undeclared, the student must declare a major upon completing 48 credit hours. View academic majors.

How can I add/drop a minor?
In order to add/drop an academic minor, a student must fill out a Change of Status form with an advisor. Academic minors are an option available to baccalaureate degree-seeking students. Students wishing to declare minors must do so by the beginning of their junior year (completion of 60 credit hours). View academic minors.

Class/Academic Standing

Class Standing and Academic Progress

How do I know what my class standing is?
Class standing is determined by the number of semester hours a student has completed in their program of study. For sophomore standing, a student must have a minimum of 30 semester hours of accumulated credits; for junior standing, a minimum of 60 hours; for senior standing, a minimum of 90 hours (see Academic Catalog). A student should consult the Registrar or Academic Advisement Center regarding any questions pertaining to class standing.

How do I know if I am in good academic standing?
The University's Undergraduate Academic Standards Committee meets at the end of each semester to review all undergraduate students' academic progress. All students with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher are defined as being in good academic standing (see Academic Catalog).

How do I know if I'm not doing well in class?
At Medaille, many instructors submit progress reports to students as an early alert systems. Academic progress reports are given to students who are in danger of failing a course, due to low/failing grades and/or attendance issues. A student will usually receive an academic progress report within the first half of the semester, via their Medaille email account. Students are asked to meet with their academic advisor to discuss possible issues that are contributing to underperformance in the course and practical strategies that will help improve the situation. Students are usually referred to their instructor, the Academic Support Center, tutoring and/or personal counseling.

It is important for students to communicate with all of their instructors throughout the entire semester.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I study abroad or complete the Disney internship program?
If a student is interested in studying abroad or completing an internship with Disney, please make an appointment with your advisor.

Why do I need a Medaille360 account?
The following items can be viewed on your Medaille360 account:

  • Schedule
  • Unofficial transcripts and class standing
  • Grades
  • Medaille University email account
  • Holds placed on a student's account

How do I receive my grades?
Grades are available at the end of each semester through your Medaille360 account.

How do I apply for graduation?
A student must apply for graduation via the Office of the Registrar. A pre-graduation review, listing outstanding requirements, will be mailed to all students who file a graduation application.

How do I take a leave of absence or withdraw from the University?
A student must fill out a Break of Enrollment/Withdrawal form with their advisor.


Meet the Academic Advisement Team
Academic Advisement
^ Back to Top