Medaille University Accessibility Services for Disability-Related Accommodations

Accessibility Services

Office of Accessibility Services

Medaille University is dedicated to ensuring equal access and does not discriminate against individuals with disabilities in its policies, procedures, programs or employment process.

Accessibility Services Icons

Office of Accessibility Services
Huber 107C
(inside the Academic Success Center)

Carl Berg
Coordinator, Accessibility Services
(716) 880-3088
(716) 880-2804 fax

Request Documentation

About Us & FAQ

Medaille University Office of Accessibility Services

Medaille University, in accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 2008, recognizes the need to provide an environment that does not discriminate against persons with disabilities. The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) was created to specifically answer the needs of our students with disabilities.

The Office of Accessibility Services operates on a case-by-case basis to provide students with Accommodations for Academic and/or Housing needs. After the appropriate documentation is submitted, a meeting with the Coordinator of Accessibility Services is required to discuss your documentation and discuss accommodations. Accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Quiet testing space
  • Increased testing time
  • Notetakers
  • Scribes
  • ESAs
  • Wheelchair-accessible living arrangements
  • Audio versions of textbooks
  • Voice-to-text software

If you have specific concerns or need more in-depth information about the services we offer, please contact our office.


Accommodations Policies

Accessibility Services Policy Manual

Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Policy Manual


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of a disability?

A disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, or working. In addition, students  with chronic illness (e.g. AIDS, diabetes, seizure disorder, lupus and psychiatric disabilities) may be eligible for services.


Who is eligible for services?

Any currently enrolled Medaille student, with a documented disability and who is registered with the Office of Accessibility Services, is eligible to be reviewed for services. The student is responsible for initiating contact and submitting appropriate documentation to the OAS to determine eligibility.

Medaille University is committed to making reasonable accommodations, as determined, on a case-by-case basis, for any individual with a documented disability. All students, even prospective students currently in the admission process, should contact us immediately if you feel you are eligible for services.


May I still receive accommodation if my disability is not long-term?

Individuals with temporary disabilities may also be eligible to receive services through our office. If your disability is temporary, the verification must also state the earliest date at which services will no longer be needed.


What if my physician is a long distance away and I am an on-campus resident? Who can I meet with for testing for accommodations?

Here at Medaille University, the Wellness Center/Counseling Services office offers testing that is valid in regards to a potential approval of accommodations. Set up a testing referral with the Counseling Center.


When and where should documentation be sent?

Documentation should be sent directly to the coordinator of accessibility services. Please submit documentation as soon as possible. It will then be reviewed and a decision will be made in a timely manner as to the nature of the disability and what, if any, accommodations will be made. Information forwarded to our office will be kept confidential, amongst accessibility services team members. The information will not be shared with admissions, faculty or other departments on campus without the student's written consent.

Once registered with OAS, a student's responsibilities include the following:

  1. Prior to or at the beginning of each semester, meet with the coordinator to verify accommodations are sought for in each class. Notify the coordinator if all, some or none of your instructors should be notified.
  2. In the case that you do not meet with the coordinator, your professors will not be notified of the accommodations you have sought.
  3. Open a dialogue with your professors. It is your responsibility to make them aware that you will need to take a quiz or test in the Academic Success Center, or need to sit in a specific location.
  4. Meet the requisite qualifications and essential technical standards, both academic and institutional, including the student code of conduct
  5. Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic.
  6. Feel free to contact the coordinator of accessibility services at any time during the semester if you want to talk about your academic progress, to discuss your academic adjustments, etc.


What if my accommodations are not provided as outlined?

If, for any reason, you feel like the accommodations you were approved for through the Office of Accessibility Services are not being met by any party affiliated with Medaille University (faculty/staff/etc.), please fill out the ADA Grievance Form below. Please provide as much information and/or documentation as possible. Use of descriptive information over subjective information is important (i.e. "I was told that my condition does not really require accommodations" vs "they were rude and insulting"). The Office of Accessibility Services will review your grievance and proceed properly on a case-by-case basis. In the case of where a grievance is filed against the Coordinator of Accessibility Services, the grievance will be handled by the Director of the Academic Success Center.

ADA Grievance Form


What is the difference between an ESA and a Service Animal?

Service Animal
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any dog or miniature horse individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.

If you will be utilizing a service dog on campus, please contact accessibility services to review your rights and responsibilities, as they relate to the use of a service dog.

Emotional Support Animal
An emotional support animal differs from a service animal in that it has not been individually trained to perform a task. This type of animal provides emotional or psychiatric comfort to the handler in a residential setting (campus housing) and is protected under the Fair Housing Act (FHA). An emotional support animal is not permitted in other areas on campus (e.g. libraries, academic buildings, classrooms, labs, student center, etc.).

Academic & Testing Accommodations

Academic & Testing Accommodations

Request for Academic Accommodations

Request to Renew Academic Accommodations

Medaille students seeking to take a test, exam or quiz in the Academic Success Center (ASC) may schedule their appointment here:

Schedule a Test, Exam or Quiz in the ASC


Receiving Academic Accommodations

Current documentation from an authorized expert in their field, such as a medical doctor, audiologist, psychologist, etc., that verifies your disability is required. Intake and documentation forms must accompany documentation. The following guidelines are provided in the interest of ensuring that documentation is appropriate for eligibility verification, as well as supports requests for reasonable accommodations, adjustments and auxiliary aids and services on the basis of that disability.

  1. Documentation of disability should be provided in writing, be comprehensive, and include the following information: Clear and specific evidence of a disability: the functional limitations related to the diagnosis and medical treatment of which affect the student's current level of functioning in the university environment.
  2. In some cases, assessment procedures and evaluation instruments, including all test scores and sub-scores or test results, used to make the diagnosis.
  3. An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, or high school exit summary of performance may be submitted; however, such documents must contain or be accompanied by the testing and/or other diagnostic evaluation upon which these plans are based. A submission of these plans are not a guarantee of receipt of accommodations but are helpful in making a decision.
  4. Documentation for eligibility should be current, preferably within the last three years. It is in a student's best interest to provide recent and relevant documentation because the provision of all reasonable accommodations and services is based upon assessment of the current impact of the student's disability on his/her academic performance.
  5. Professionals conducting assessment and rendering diagnoses of a disability must be qualified to do so. Diagnostic reports should include the names, titles, and professional credentials (e.g., licensed psychologist) of the evaluators as well as the dates(s) of testing. Experience in working with an adult population is essential. The diagnostician must be impartial and not a family member.

It is the student's responsibility to obtain and submit appropriate documentation for consideration. The student will bear the cost, if any, of obtaining such documentation. Pending receipt of documentation, the University reserves the right to deny services or accommodations until such documents are received and reviewed.

Housing & Animal Accommodations

Housing & Animal Accommodations

The Office of Accessibility Services understands the importance of accommodations related to on-campus housing. Through collaboration with the Office of Residence Life, Medaille University strives to provide housing accommodations to students in order to meet compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) as well as ensure on-campus student success. The Office of Accessibility Services categorizes housing accommodations into two categories: Housing Accommodations and Animal Accommodations.

Request for Housing & Animal Accommodations

Request to Renew Housing & Animal Accommodations


Housing Accommodations

The Office of Residence Life recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in its housing policies and practices necessary for individuals to use the residence halls and enjoy the residential experience. A student who believes they need a housing accommodation should contact the Office of Accessibility Services to obtain a Housing Accommodation Request Form. Requests should be submitted as soon as possible and, absent extenuating circumstances, prior to housing selection date as listed on the Office of Residence Life website. The location of a particular assignment can never be guaranteed. It is our goal to accommodate each specific need with an appropriate housing assignment on an individualized basis. Students that qualify for Housing Accommodation under Section 504/ADA will receive any such accommodations without any additional charge. Requests for accommodations must be submitted each academic year.


Animal Accommodations

Medaille University recognizes the importance of “service animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the broader category of “emotional support animals” under the Fair Housing Act that provides emotional support to individuals living with mental health impairments. Medaille is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a Service Animal on campus to facilitate their full participation and equal access to the University’s programs and activities.

A student may not bring an emotional support animal on campus without prior authorization.

Post-Graduate Exam Accommodations

Post-Graduate Exam Accommodations

Whether your next step after graduating for Medaille is attending graduate school, or beginning a career in your chosen field, you may be required to complete an examination for admission, certification or licensure. As a person with a disability, you may be eligible to receive testing accommodations for these examinations.

To help you prepare for post-graduation exams, we have compiled a list of common graduate school and professional licensure examinations that relate to academic majors at Medaille University. Whenever possible we have provided you with a direct link to webpages where you can find information about applying for accommodations for the exams.

If you are planning to take a licensure or certification examination that is not listed here, and would like assistance locating information about applying for accommodations, please contact the Office of Accessibility Services.  If you need documentation or acknowledgement of received services from Medaille University for the application for accommodations, you can request that by emailing

General Information

Graduate School Admission Exams


Criminal Justice


Mental Health, Counseling, Clinical Certifications

Sport Management

Veterinary Technician


General Information

Americans with Disabilities Act Testing Information

Department of Justice Civil Rights Division – Disability Rights and Testing Accommodations


Graduate School Admissions Exams

Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)

Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)

Law School Admission Test (LSAT)

Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)



Accounting CPA


Criminal Justice

New York State Department of Corrections Exam

New York State Police Entrance Examination

  • Candidates should send accommodation request and supporting documentation to

    Test accommodations are individualized and considered on a case-by-case basis, and approved by the New York State Police. All candidates who are requesting accommodations because of a disability must provide appropriate documentation of their condition and how it is expected to affect their ability to take the test under standard conditions. This request should include supporting documentation from the professional who diagnosed the condition, including the credentials that qualify the professional to make this diagnosis. Candidates who have additional questions concerning scheduling test accommodations with Pearson VUE may contact the ADA Coordinator by emailing

New York City: Department of Citywide Administrative Services (NYPD)



New York State Teacher’s Certification Exam


Mental Health, Counseling, Clinical Certifications

National Board for Certified Counselors - Clinical Mental Health Certification/ Counseling Certification

Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology - New York State Department of Ed 

Examination in Marital and Family Therapy – New York State Department of Ed


Sport Management

Sport Management certification requirements are determined by individual sports leagues. We can help you research for the specific league you are interested in exploring a career with. Contact us at to get started.


Veterinary Technician

Veterinary Technician National Exam

For Faculty & Staff

For Faculty & Staff

Faculty Accessibility Handbook

Test Sign-In Form


Adding Accommodations to Blackboard Materials

Traditional Blackboard

Blackboard Ultra


Testing Procedures

Due to Covid-19, please contact OAS for most updated procedures.

To Provide Test(s) to Accessibility Services
Accessible tests, quizzes and exams may be sent to with the test sign-in form.

When checking in the exam, please fill in:

  • Instructor's name
  • Date the exam was dropped off
  • Course
  • Student's name
  • Special instructions for the test, including what students may or may not use and the time limit*
  • Ensure the student's name is on the test and attach a Scantron sheet, if necessary
  • Enclose each test in a separate envelope (provided by the ASC)
  • On the envelope, note the following: 
  • Student's name
  • Course
  • Instructions
  • Time limit
  • Date by when test must be completed
  • Submit completed envelope to ASC staff member

*If the test is for a student with a disability, and you are unsure of their accommodations, please ask. The Academic Success Center front desk staff may know, or will ask the OAS coordinator. Remember, make-up test services are for special circumstances only!

To Pick Up a Test
Please remember to pick up any test(s) left in the Academic Success Center in a timely manner. Ask the ASC front desk staff for any tests you wish to retrieve. We will need the student's last name when you arrive for pickup. 

Please sign and date the faculty log when you pick up your test(s), both completed and incomplete. Please leave used envelopes with ASC staff so they may be reused.

If you would like extra envelopes, please stop by the ASC or call (716) 880-2214.


^ Back to Top