Office of Public Safety: Staying Safe on Campus at Medaille College

Undergraduate Programs
First-time freshmen and transfer students looking for the full on-campus college experience.

Request Info For Undergraduate Programs


Post-Traditional Undergrad
and Graduate Programs

Working professionals and adults who've been out of school for a while, looking to advance their careers.

Request Info For Post-Traditional Undergrad and Graduate Programs


Online Programs
Students looking to earn a degree entirely online.

Request Info For Online Programs


Public Safety

Public Safety

Safety is your prerogative. Safety is our priority.

Office of Public Safety
Buffalo Campus 
2 Agassiz Circle
(716) 880-2911
2911 on campus


At Medaille, your safety as a student is our primary concern. It is our belief that the opportunity for crime and criminal activity can be removed before it occurs, and it is our ambition to make our campus as crime-free as possible.

Public safety officers regularly patrol campus buildings, grounds, parking lots and facilities, as well as direct parking and traffic. The Office of Public Safety also issues parking permits and student identification to limit the opportunity for unauthorized access to the Medaille campus. Public Safety is also the place to go if you’ve misplaced something, as they operate a campus-wide lost-and-found.

Emergencies involving safety/security issues or criminal activity should be reported immediately to the Office of Public Safety at (716) 880-2911.

To request a comprehensive security report, contact the Admissions Office, the Student Affairs Office or the Public Safety Office directly. Alternately, a copy of the Campus Crimes Statistics report is available at the US Department of Education website.

Staying Safe on Campus

The Crime Watch Team has composed some tips for staying safe on campus.

Staying safe is everyone's responsibility. When you leave your dorm or office, do not leave your door propped open or unlocked for any reason. Do not make it easier for the wrong person to enter your dorm or office. Theft can occurs anywhere, at any time. So, close those propped doors immediately and report repeat problems to Public Safety.

Report the presence of strangers. Whether they've gained access to a campus building, are hanging around or are exhibiting questionable behavior, you should call Public Safety immediately at (716) 880-2911.

To help prevent injury and property damage while also keeping fellow Medaille community members safe, take a few minutes to report seemingly "little things," like:

  • slippery floors
  • water leaks
  • broken glass
  • missing window screens
  • burned out lights
  • broken doors or furniture
  • faulty emergency equipment


Report It

When reporting an incident, think like a reporter. Focus on who, what, where, when and how. 

When describing an incident:

  • stay objective
  • keep things in chronological order
  • share where you are located

When describing a person:

  • notice permanent features, like hair color, height, facial structure, build, etc., rather than clothes
  • share special characteristics, like injuries, tattoos, piercings or birthmarks

Emergency Information

Sign Up for Immediate Alerts by Text, Phone and Email

In the event of a campus closing, general class cancellations, or other emergency situations, Medaille has implemented an emergency notification system, which sends alerts via text (SMS) messaging, email and recorded calls. Students, faculty and staff alike should keep contact information up to date. The form will ask for:

  • an ID number, which is found on your Medaille ID card
  • your official Medaille email address, which can be found by searching for your name in the online directory

The information collected will be used by authorized College personnel in the event of weather-related campus/class cancellations, as well as other situations where time is of the essence.

Test messages to all contact numbers may be sent out once each semester. Contact information will not be used for any other purpose. To unsubscribe, log in to Medaille360 and remove your contact information.


Emergency Management Documents

Emergency Action Guide

Medaille College has an Emergency Management Plan (EMP) that is reviewed and amended annually. The EMP establishes procedures, assigns responsibilities and promotes awareness in emergencies or situations of a critical nature affecting the Medaille College community. These procedures have been established to protect life and property in emergencies and apply to all aspects of the Medaille College community, including all personnel, resources, facilities and grounds, either owned or operated by Medaille College. Additionally, the EMP includes a Crisis Communication Plan that establishes protocol for communicating to all College constituents in the event of an emergency situation.


For Faculty

Please review the Emergency Preparation PDF, which outlines the steps to take in the event your class is interrupted for an extended period.


For Students

Please fill out the Student Contact Information form and give to each of your instructors, so they can contact you in the event of an extended interruption in classes.


Flu & Wellness

Local, state, federal and international health official are closely monitoring international reports of flu cases. Medaille is also following news accounts and directions from the Erie County Department of Health. Learn more at


Weather Alerts

Buffalo Area Weather Forecast
Rochester Area Weather Forecast


Travel Information

Border Wait Times
Peace Bridge Webcam

Lost and Found

Lost articles shall be taken to the Information Office or the Office of Public Safety. Check with these offices if an item has been lost. The Information Office is located in the foyer of the Main Building, first door on the right, on the landing of the entrance stairwell. Public Safety is located at 2 Agassiz Circle, near the entrance to the Buffalo campus.


Smoke-Free Campus
Parking & Ticket Disputes, Shuttle, Bus Passes
Key Control
Snow Removal
Snow Closing

Smoke-Free Campus

As of July 1, 2016, Medaille College's campuses (Buffalo and Rochester) are completely smoke-free, including vaping. This is a big step toward a healthy campus community and clean air.

RAs and RDs will manage the smoking ban in residence halls.

Enforcement begins with each community member honoring the policy and respecting the desire for us all to have clean air and a smoke-free environment. If you see someone smoking on campus and feel comfortable doing so, please tell them that the campus is smoke-free; there's a good chance they just don't know. You may also speak with a person's supervisor or VP if you are uncomfortable addressing the person directly.

If you violate the no smoking policy anywhere on campus, you are subject to a $50 fine.

Parking & Ticket Disputes, Shuttle, Bus Passes

Parking permits are renewed every September at the Public Safety Office.  Vehicle registration must be provided to obtain a valid parking permit. Questions regarding parking may be addressed with the Public Safety traffic officer who is assigned to the front entrance of the campus, while school is in session, or by calling the office at (716) 880-2911.

All new incoming, non-resident freshmen must park at the auxiliary parking lot, located at the Buffalo Zoo on Parkside Avenue at Jewett Parkway. Shuttle service will be provided between the lot and campus from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, leaving approximately every 15 minutes. Public Safety officers will provide security at the auxiliary lot from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., or until the last car leaves. Please note, after 6 p.m. on Monday through Friday, you may call Public Safety at (716) 880-2911 for an escort to the auxiliary lot. Space permitting, new freshmen and commuter students will be permitted to park on campus after 2 p.m.

Resident freshmen who wish to have a car on campus must first pay the parking fee at the Student Accounts Office. The receipt must be brought to Public Safety, along with the vehicle registration, to obtain the parking permit.

Every student, faculty, or staff member's personal vehicle parked on Campus or at the auxiliary lot MUST display a valid parking permit. These permits may be obtained from the Public Safety Office. Student parking permits must be renewed each academic year.

Prior to the issuance of any parking permit, a vehicle registration must be presented.

The faculty & staff parking permit tag shall be hung from the inside rearview mirror in a manner which is readable from the outside of the vehicle. Student stick-on decals must be affixed to the back of the rearview mirror to be visible from the front windshield.

Parking permits, with the exception of first-time freshmen, are valid in any legal parking space on campus. Parking spaces are not guaranteed! Once the lots are full, everyone must park at the auxiliary lot, located at the Buffalo Zoo on Parkside Avenue and Jewett Parkway.

Vehicles parked in ADA accessible parking spaces must display a NYS parking permit or plate, designated for persons with severe disabilities, along with their Medaille parking permit.

Vehicles must park inside the clearly marked parking spaces. Vehicles occupying more than one parking space or parked diagonally will be ticketed.

Parking is not permitted in the following areas:

  • Reserved Office of the President   
  • Delivery/Loading Zones  
  • Visitor Parking    
  • Commercial Vehicles Only       
  • Reserved Residence Life  
  • No Parking Zones
  • No Overnight Parking 11 p.m. - 7 a.m., November 1 - April 15
  • Near Fire Hydrants      
  • In Fire Lanes
  • On the Grass        
  • Reserved Spaces for College Vans   
  • No Standing Zones
  • Barricaded/Coned-Off Spaces 

Vehicles illegally parked may be towed at the owner's expense. This will include the parking summons, the tow and storage charge.

All bicycles are to be locked on bike racks. Bicycles are not permitted in any of the buildings. You are responsible for securing your own bicycle.

NOTE: Carefully read traffic signage! Obey the one-way traffic pattern and posted stop signs, and reduce speed while on the campus grounds. The Buffalo Police Department monitors the entrance to the campus and will issue warnings and tickets.

Medaille Parking Map

Parking Ticket Disputes

Anyone with a legitimate reason for parking illegally who wishes to contest the issuance of a parking summons must do so in writing within 10 days from issue date. No disputes will be accepted after 10 days. Forms are available at Public Safety or the Information Office.

Public Safety will be available to review and answer disputes on Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Tickets may be paid by cash or check at the Office of Public Safety on Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. If paying with debit or credit card, please visit the Student Accounts office in the Main Building, room 130.

Fines range from $20 to $50, depending on the violation. Nonpayment will result in the fine doubling and a hold will be placed on your account. This hold will result in the violator being unable to register for classes, or to receive grades and/or transcripts.

Shuttle Information

All new incoming, non-resident freshmen must park at the auxiliary parking lot, located at the Buffalo Zoo on Parkside Avenue at Jewett Parkway. Shuttle service will be provided between the lot and campus from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, leaving approximately every 15 minutes. Public Safety officers will provide security at the auxiliary lot from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., or until the last car leaves. Please note, after 6 p.m. on Monday through Friday, you may call Public Safety at (716) 880-2911 for an escort to the auxiliary lot. Space permitting, new freshmen and commuter students will be permitted to park on campus after 2 p.m.

Bus Pass Information

Effective Fall 2012, the College will offer discounted monthly NFTA-Metro passes through the Student Accounts Office, located on the first floor of the Main Building. You must be a currently enrolled student for that semester. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) provides bus and Metro rail (subway) service throughout the Western New York Region. Their website includes routes and schedules, special services for accessibility, and other essential information. Contact the Student Account Office at (716) 880-2309 for information on obtaining bus passes.

Back to Top

Key Control

As part of Medaille College’s focus on maintaining a secure environment for its personnel, while maintaining secure campus buildings, the following serves as the campus Key Control Policy. This policy outlines the control, use and possession of keys issued to College personnel for use in College facilities. These procedures are implemented by the Public Safety and Facilities departments, working under the direction of the Vice President for Business, Finance and Operations.

General Policy Provisions

This Key Control Policy is designed to provide both security and access to campus facilities by campus personnel. Keys issued to campus personnel are the property of Medaille College. As such, unauthorized fabrication, duplication, possession or use of keys to Medaille facilities is prohibited. All personnel issued Medaille College keys must safeguard those keys at all times. If a key is lost or stolen, Public Safety must be notified immediately so the appropriate security issues can be addressed. In addition, an official Incident Report will be filed.


Key Request Form: submit completed form to Public Safety in order to make and issue a key.

Requesting Party: the individual who is in need of the building and/or door key.

Designated Departmental Key Requestor: the person(s) within each department, designated by that department's Vice President, to request keys. A copy of this list is included within this policy.

Authorizing Vice President: Vice President of the department/office from which the key request is being submitted.

Requested Key(s): keys covered by this policy include building and office/door keys only. Keys for desks, file cabinets, display cases and other similar items are not covered by this policy; these should be requested by submitting a work order directly to Facilities.

Key Requests and Issuance Procedures

Keys may be requested for all full-time and part-time personnel, for the duration of their employment at the College. The following procedure should be followed when requesting a key:

Obtain and complete the Key Request Form.

Return the Key Request Form to the Designated Department Key Requestor, who will finalize form and obtain the Authorizing Vice President signature.

The Designated Department Key Requestor shall submit the completed form to Public Safety.

Public Safety will make the requested key and prepare to issue the key. Please allow up to five (5) working days to complete the key request.

When the requested key has been made, Public Safety will alert the Key Requestor. Key Requestors will be required to pick up the key(s) and sign an acknowledgement form at the Public Safety Office.

Keys not picked up within two weeks of the notification date will be destroyed and the paperwork, with original signatures, will be required to be resubmitted.

All keys are required to be returned to Public Safety prior to an individual’s departure from the College or reassignment within the College. Upon reassignment to another department, no new keys will be issued until the previously issued keys have been returned to Public Safety.

General Key and Building Security

Key holders shall not loan out their keys to anyone.

Key holders are responsible for their keys during the full length of their employment at Medaille College.

Key holders shall not unlock buildings or rooms for other person unless the other person has permission to access said areas.

For graduate assistants who have been issued keys, student records and registration may be held, pending the return of any issued keys at the end of the semester.

In the event of lost or stolen keys, please notify Public Safety immediately at (716) 880-2911.

If you have questions about the Key Control Policy or need additional information, please contact Public Safety at (716) 880-2911.

Master and Sub-Master Keys

All requests for master or sub-master keys will be reviewed by Public Safety and Operations, who will collectively determine if the key request will be approved.

Approval is based upon the requestor’s need for immediate accessibility to those areas of the campus. In an attempt to make the campus more secure, it is Medaille’s policy to limit the number of master and sub-master keys distributed.

A major component of the Medaille Key Control Plan is the assessment and examination of each College department and office, current key distribution, and evaluation of existing needs. This appraisal will be the basis of a systematic re-keying of all Medaille College campuses.

Back to Top

Snow Removal

No overnight parking allowed from November 1 - April 15, between 11 p.m. - 7 a.m., in the following areas: roadways, front parking lot, admissions house, rear parking lot.

A snow removal map is posted in each residence hall, the main building and the Sullivan center.

Any vehicle found in violation of the snow removal parking policy will be subject to a parking summons and/or towing at the owner's expense.

Snow Closing
Download Medaille's Snow Closing Policy

Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm a new student. How do I get my college ID?
Submit the New Student ID Request today!

What if I have car trouble?
Call Public Safety at (716) 880-2911. They will assist if possible, or will help you contact someone who can assist you.

Where can I park?
During the day, students with a valid commuter parking permit may park in any clearly striped parking space that is not marked for some other purpose, such as "Commercial Parking," "Visitor Parking" or "Reserved Parking." New freshman residents are not permitted to have a car on campus. Special permission applications must be submitted to and approved by Public Safety in order for a freshman resident to bring a car onto campus.

How do I get a parking permit?
You can obtain a parking permit from the Public Safety Office. There is no fee. You will need to provide us with your banner number and vehicle information (bring registration). You will receive a copy of the Parking Permit Policy when you pick up your permit from our office.

What if I need an escort to walk me to my car?
If you are in need of an escort for any reason, please contact Public Safety at (716) 880-2911. They will escort you anywhere on campus, at any time of the day or night, and during any adverse weather conditions.

What if I get a parking ticket?
Pay your tickets! However, if you think you have a valid excuse, please submit your reasons in writing to Public Safety (within 10 days of the issuance of the ticket) using a parking dispute form. A hearing will be held where the ticket will be discussed and a decision will be made. Failure to pay tickets, failure to apply for a hearing, or failure to show up for a hearing will result in a hold on the student's account.

How do I report a crime?
At any time, if you need to report a crime, please contact the Office of Public Safety at (716) 880-2911 and speak with an officer as soon as possible.

What do I do if I am assaulted?
Contact Public Safety immediately at (716) 880-2911. They will put you in touch with the appropriate medical, law enforcement and/or crisis services and/or campus counselor.

Are there Public Safety officers in the residence halls?
When school is in session, there is a Public Safety Officer posted in each one of the Residence Halls between the hours of 12 a.m. and 6 a.m.

I am locked out of my car/residence hall/office/building. Help!
If you are locked out of your car, unfortunately Public Safety cannot retrieve your keys for you, but we can help you contact someone who will. If you get locked out of your residence hall, please call your RA. In the event the RA cannot be reached, contact Public Safety at (716) 880-2911 and we will gladly assist you in getting back into your dorm. If you get locked out of your office or building, please give us a call and we will be happy to give you a hand.

I live in a residence hall and I lost my Medaille College ID card. What do I do?
Complete the Replacement ID Card form, print, and submit to Public Safety to be issued a new card. There is a fee for lost cards. Your Resident Director will provide you with further information.

How do I find out if school is closed due to bad weather?
You can be the first to know if you sign up to the Medaille College Alert System. We will notify you via text message, mobile phone, house phone, and/or email of any school closings or other emergencies. Contact the IT help desk for assistance in signing up for the program. These announcements are also available on local major television and radio news outlets.

Medaille College Public Safety Team

Debra Kelly, Director, Public Safety

James Hill Jr., Assistant Director, Public Safety

David Rice, Public Safety Supervisor

David Scaffidi, Public Safety Supervisor

Samantha Allerton, OSHA Compliance Officer


Public Safety Officers:

Michael Austin

Lucas Brassard

Matthew Czechowski

Mark Genier

Robert Gibbs

Damien Giles

Mahlia Lowell

Jonathan Nasca

Darryl O’Neil

Ronald Pugh

Michael Ross

Paul Tatu

Aaron Tubbins

James Upshaw

William Yung

back to topBack to Top