Wellness Center Health Services

Wellness Center Health Services

Wellness Center Health Services

Striving for all-around wellness for every student, the Wellness Center fosters good health practices in a safe, confidential environment, and provides holistic healthcare promoting your physical well-being. Our mission is to maintain a healthy campus and encourage positive lifestyles, ensuring nothing gets in the way of your goals.

Medaille University Wellness Center
Health Services

85 Humboldt Pkwy
(716) 880-2112

We've moved, now closer to the main campus at 85 Humboldt!
Student Health Services will be available, by appointment only, starting January 17.
Walk-in availability is likely to resume the first week of February.

Schedule a Health Services Appointment

Visit Counseling Services Here



Embrace a Healthy Lifestyle

The health of the Medaille campus community begins with the well-being of the individual student, and the well-being of the individual student begins at the Student Health Office.

As part of the campus Wellness Center, the Student Health Office aims to promote the health of the Medaille campus through a variety of programs. The office encourages healthy choices and lifestyles, prevents disease and disability, and provides various primary healthcare to the Medaille community. The office, located on the first floor of the Wellness Center at 117 Humboldt Pkwy, is staffed by a full-time board certified nurse practitioner.


Director of Health Services
Amy Glover, MSN, ANP-BC, APRN
Medaille University Wellness Center
117 Humboldt Pkwy.
Buffalo, New York 14214
(716) 880-2155
Fax (716) 880-3399


Office Hours

Open during the regular academic year (September through May):

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Student Health Office is closed for all official  holidays and snow days.

The nurse practitioner is available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. No OB-GYN or allergy shot services will be performed on campus, however, the Health Center will provide a list of off campus facilities that provide these services.



Health Services

Assessment and treatment of illnesses and injuries

First aid

Referrals to local medical facilities and dentists

Strep throat screening

Eye exams for NYS driver's license renewal

Blood pressure monitoring

Medications for self care

Student health insurance assistance

Health related publications

Health counseling

Health and wellness programming

Nurse practitioner services


Off-Campus Medical Facilities

The following facilities are open both evenings and weekends. No appointment is needed; payment and transportation are the student’s responsibility.

WNY Immediate Care (5 Locations)
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.



Frequently Asked Health Services Questions

What should I do when I am sick?
Students should call the health center (716) 880-2112 or (716) 880-2155 to schedule an appointment. The student will initially be evaluated by the nurse practitioner over a telehealth visit. The student may be directed to schedule an in-person appointment at the health center. They may be given over the counter medications for self-care or a prescription may be sent to a local pharmacy. If the condition warrants, the student may need a higher level of care and be directed to a hospital, physician, specialist, or an urgent care. They may also contact their own primary care provider.  If the student is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, they should call public health while on campus at 2911 or call 911 if off campus. In order to be treated at the health center, the student must complete the Medical History form and an Authorization to Treat.

Can the nurse give me allergy shots?
The Health Center does not administer allergy shots, but can give you the name of a doctor in close proximity that can administer them. The student is responsible for storage of their serum, transportation, and payment.

I am having trouble obtaining my immunization records, what can I do?
Immunization records can be obtained from your doctor or health care facility, high school health office, previous colleges attended, and military immunization records. Immunizations listed in baby books or on the back of birth certificates can be submitted for review, but must include a physician’s signature to be valid. In the event that none of these records are available, students can be revaccinated or have a blood test by their physician to determine their immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella.

I need a prescription filled, where is the closest pharmacy?

Walgreen’s Pharmacy
(716) 834-2820
1556 Hertel Ave. (at Parkside Ave.)

Rite Aid Pharmacy
(716)  885-9944
1410 Delaware Ave. (at W. Delavan Ave.)

Rite Aid Pharmacy
(716)  862-0511
2585 Main St. (at Fillmore Ave.)

Sisters Hospital Pharmacy
(716) 862-1575
2157 Main St.  (First floor of the hospital)

Please check with your insurance plan to determine which pharmacy will be covered.

How can I get a copy of my immunization records?
You must submit a written request to the Health Center. The request must include your name, date of birth, social security number, and signature. You must include the address or fax number of where the record is to be sent. Please allow one week for records to be received. Download a record release form.

Why is there an immunization hold on my account and how can I get it removed so I can register?
The immunization hold was applied to your account because either you have not submitted your immunization records, or the records you did submit were incomplete. You must contact the Health Center to determine what records you are lacking. Once you supply those records, the hold will be removed and you will be allowed to register.


Health Center Forms

Consent for TeleHealth Services

Immunization Record Form
Completed by your doctor and returned to the Health Center as soon as possible. Failure to submit this form will prohibit you from attending classes in accordance with New York State law.

International Student Immunization Record

Immunization Release Form
Allows the University to release your health records to you or your designee.

Medical History Form
Completed by the student to supply the Health Center with information regarding the student’s health history.

Meningococcal Meningitis Fact Sheet
Important information about meningitis.

Online Meningitis Response Form
Submitted by the student to notify the Health Center of the date of the meningitis immunization or to decline the meningitis immunization by signing a waiver.

Tuberculosis Screening Form

Questions? Contact Us:

Amy Glover, MSN, ANP-BC, APRN
Director of Health Services
Medaille University
18 Agassiz Circle
Buffalo, New York 14214
(716) 880-2112
Fax (716) 880-3399

Immunization Requirements

Immunization Requirements

New York State Public Health Law § 2165 requires all college students born on or after January 1, 1957 to provide proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. Students who fail to complete this requirement will not be permitted to attend classes, participate in the athletic program, or register for subsequent classes.

The following immunizations are required of every student born on or after January 1, 1957:

MEASLES – TWO doses of LIVE measles vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity are required. Immunizations must be at least 30 days apart. Immunizations prior to January 1, 1968 must be documented as being a live vaccine in order to be valid.

MUMPS – ONE dose of LIVE mumps vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity is required.

RUBELLA – ONE dose of LIVE rubella vaccine administered after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity is required.

Measles, mumps, and rubella immunizations are given free of charge at the Student Health Office. Please call (716) 880-2112 to arrange an appointment.


New York State Public Health Law (NYS PHL) § 2167 requires institutions, including colleges and universities, to distribute information about meningococcal disease and vaccine to all students. The University is required to maintain a record of the following for each student:

  • A record of meningococcal immunization within the past 5 years; OR
  • An acknowledgement of meningococcal disease risks and refusal of meningococcal immunization signed by the student or student’s parent or guardian. 

Meningococcal disease is rare. However, when it strikes, its flu‑like symptoms make diagnosis difficult. Meningococcal disease can cause serious illnesses such as infection of the lining of the brain and spinal column (meningitis) or blood infections (sepsis). The disease strikes quickly and can lead to severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damage, seizures, limb amputation and even lead to death.

Meningococcal disease can be easily spread from person-to-person by coughing, sharing beverages or eating utensils, kissing, or spending time in close contact with someone who is sick or who carries the bacteria. People can spread the bacteria that causes meningococcal disease even before they know they are sick. There have been several outbreaks of meningococcal disease at college campuses across the United States.

The single best way to prevent meningococcal disease is to be vaccinated. The meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine protects against four major strains of bacteria which cause about two-thirds of meningococcal disease in the United States (U.S.). The MenACWY vaccine is recommended for all U.S. teenagers and young adults up to age 21 years. Protection from the MenACWY vaccine is estimated to last about 3 to 5 years, so young adults who received the MenACWY vaccine before their 16th birthday should get a booster dose before entering college. The meningococcal B (MenB) vaccine protects against a fifth type of meningococcal disease, which accounts for about one-third of cases in the U.S. Young adults aged 16 through 23 years may choose to receive the MenB vaccine series. They should discuss the MenB vaccine with a healthcare provider.

Vaccination may be obtained off campus from a health care provider, pharmacy, urgent care center, or travel clinic. Fees and insurance coverage varies; please check with your provider.

Please carefully review the Meningococcal Disease Fact Sheet. In order to be in compliance with the law, you must submit documentation from your medical provider with a valid meningitis vaccine date within the last 5 years, or you must sign a waiver stating that you are aware of the risk of meningitis disease but wish to refuse the immunization. See the Meningitis Response form.

Students who fail to complete the immunization requirements will not be permitted to attend classes if this information is not submitted within 30 days of the first day of classes. They will also not be allowed to register for subsequent classes.

Immunization Record Form
Download immunization record form. Immunization records will be kept on file for ten years and then destroyed. Students may obtain a copy of their immunization record by submitting written request to the Health Center secretary. Our immunization release form is also available.

Tetanus Vaccination
A recent tetanus vaccination is a requirement of the Veterinary Technician Program and qualified students may receive it at the Student Health Center for a $20 charge. Students should contact the Health Center to schedule an appointment.

Flu Vaccinations
Flu vaccinations are available at a clinic at each of the campuses during the fall semester. The date and time of the clinic at each campus will be posted well in advance. Many insurances are accepted for payment although co-payments or deductibles may apply. For those insurances not accepted, cash or check will be required at the time of the clinic.

Health Insurance

Good health is essential for students to perform well academically. However, accidents and illnesses can occur and may cause bills that can be financially devastating for college students. Medaille University strongly encourages all students to have adequate health insurance to provide coverage for medical expenses.

Until now, most young adults "aged off" their parents' health insurance when they turned 19 or graduated from college. Under the Affordable Care Act, you may be able to remain covered up to age 26. You don't need to live with your parents to be eligible for this coverage. Please have your parents check with their employers for more information.

If you are unable to be covered under your parents plan and need insurance, please visit healthcare.gov, or for New York State residents, visit nystateofhealth.gov to explore the options available to you under the Affordable Care Act. Please make sure that the plan you choose meets your needs regarding the exclusions, benefits paid, your out-of-pocket costs, and that it will cover you while you are away from home.

Health Insurance for International Students
Medical care in the United States is more expensive than in any other country in the world, and the United States government does not pay any part of the medical expenses for international students studying here. Therefore, international students are required to purchase their own health insurance to cover them, in case of injury or illness.

When choosing a plan, please review the plans carefully to make sure you are selecting a plan that meets your needs. Health and accident insurance does not cover all medical expenses. The deductible, which is the amount you have to pay before the insurance company pays anything, should be as low as possible. Carefully note what the policy covers and what it excludes. Most policies do not cover routine dental or vision expenses and most do not cover pre-existing medical conditions until you have been on the policy for six months. If you purchase a policy in your home country, please make sure that the policy pays for benefits in the United States.

Many plans do not cover athletic injuries, therefore, it is very important that student-athletes purchase a plan that covers intercollegiate sports injuries. You will not be able to practice, play, or participate in the athletic program unless you have health insurance. 

Given the high costs of health care in the US, it is essential that you have adequate medical insurance coverage throughout your time of study at Medaille University. Listed below, is one of the insurance companies that students have used in the past, however, you are free to select any insurance company you choose.  The University is not recommending or endorsing any particular company.



Student Secure
Three levels of coverage available. Student-athletes must add the sports coverage!



Student Secure
Three levels of coverage available.


International Students

International Student Health Services

As you begin making plans for your studies in the United States, we would like to introduce you to the health and wellness services offered to all international students.

The University has very specific health requirements that need to be met before coming to Medaille. Students must submit the International Student Health form in order to attend class and live in the residence halls according to New York State Law.           

Please complete all the items on the following before attending Medaille University.
1. Complete the immunization form enclosed and submit it to the Student Health Center. The form must be completed in English and signed by you and your health care provider.  This is a college health requirement.  

  • Proof of two vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella or serology proving immunity is required.
  • Proof of meningitis vaccination or informed consent waiver is required.  
  • Proof of tuberculosis disease screening, status, and treatment, if warranted, is required.

2. All international students must purchase an international student health insurance plan. Learn more about international student health insurance.

If you address these very important health issues before leaving your country, you will find your adjustment to life on an American college campus easier and your overall experience in the United States more rewarding.

For more info, please review Healthcare Information for International Students (PDF).


COVID-19 Information

For the most up to date information from the CDC Centers for Disease Control, on how to protect yourself and what to do if you are sick, please visit cdc.gov.

Visit our COVID-19 Updates page for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 policies and guidelines.

Staying Healthy

101 Health & Wellness Tips for College Students



College is a place where many students choose to explore their sexuality.  Students can do this safely by following these tips:

  1. Get tested-know your status.  1 in 3 Americans will get an STD before 25. Ask the Wellness Center about testing days and referrals for free STI testing locally.
  2. Always use protection.  It’s a stereotype that only men should bring condoms.  Always be prepared and bring your own condoms.  Free condoms are available at the Wellness Center
  3. Consider birth control.
  4. Discuss issues with your partner.  Sex shouldn’t be painful or scary.  If you are nervous or uncomfortable with any element of your sexual relationship, make sure to bring it up to your partner or healthcare provider to ensure things are emotionally and physically OK.
  5. Get regular exams.
  6. Take advantage of vaccinations.
  7. Attend informational sessions on STI’s and sexual & intimate partner violence prevention held throughout the year.  Get involved.
  8. Find someone to talk to.  If you are having questions about your sexual health or orientation, find someone you can trust to share how you’re feeling.  If you’re feeling alone, there are people out there who can help.  The Wellness Center is a resource for you.
  9. Don’t do anything you’re not comfortable with.  While you may feel pressure from your partner, never do anything you aren’t completely comfortable with.  It’s OK to tell your partner to STOP or NO, no matter how far into it you are.



Now that you are away from home and more independent, your eating habits can drastically change.  Follow these tips to keep your body healthy and in shape.

  1. Vary your meals.
  2. Eat breakfast.  It helps to kick start your metabolism and improves memory and focus
  3. Keep healthy snacks around.  Throw some in your backpack.  Try some hummus and pretzels or fresh fruit and almond butter.
  4. Drink moderately and responsibly.  It’s possible to consume hundreds and hundreds of calories from beer and alcohol and it can impair your judgement.  Drink in moderation and you can have a good time without hurting your health.  Try drinking one glass of water for every alcoholic drink that you have.  This will help to slow down your drinking and keep you hydrated.  NEVER DRINK OR CONSUME MARIJUANA OR OTHER SUBSTANCES AND DRIVE OR GET IN A VEHICLE WITH SOMEONE IMPAIRED.
  5. Don’t fight stress by eating.  Instead, work out, take a walk, or take a break.
  6. Drink plenty of water. Aim for 64 ounces per day.
  7. Limit sugary and caffeinated beverages and energy drinks.
  8. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies.
  9. Limit junk food.
  10. Make it convenient to eat right.  Buy healthy foods and stock your fridge or room with them.
  11. Don’t skip meals.
  12. Indulge every once in a while.
  13. Take a daily multivitamin.
  14. Get help for eating disorders.  Don’t be afraid to reach out to campus resources for help.
  15. Learn about proper portion sizes.



Fitting exercise into a busy schedule isn’t always the easiest thing, but take stock of some of these tips to help you get on track to fitness.

  1. Stretch first.
  2. Ride a bike.  Bike share and rentals are available locally if you don’t have one on campus.
  3. Play a sport
  4. Use safety equipment
  5. Head to the gym on campus.
  6. Find some fitness classes.
  7. Walk around campus or Delaware Park
  8. Incorporate different kinds of exercise in your routine.
  9. Make it fun!
  10. Bring a friend
  11. Take advantage of the beautiful open spaces in and around Buffalo. There is great stuff to do in all 4 of our Buffalo seasons!



College students aren’t exactly known for their early to bed early to rise routines, but getting sleep is an integral part of staying healthy. Check out these tips to help you fall asleep as quickly as possible.

  1. Have a nice relaxing bedtime routine.
  2. Make sure you’ve been physically active throughout the day.  This will help you feel tired and sleepy once it’s time for bed.
  3. Do something calming before bed like breathing exercises, meditation, or light yoga & stretching
  4. Keep a “deal with it tomorrow” journal by your bedside.
  5. Drink more tea and less caffeine.  Sleepytime tea can help you relax and promotes sleep
  6. Don’t eat so close to bedtime.  Especially anything spicy or greasy.
  7. Get away from all screens at least 45 minutes before bed.  The blue light inhibits the production of melatonin in your body.
  8. Make sure your bed is comfy and cozy.



With communal living and hundreds of other students sharing classroom space, spreading colds, viruses, and COVID is easy if you’re not careful.  These tips can help you avoid getting sick.

  1. Wash your hands often and carry hand sanitizer in your bag.
  2. Avoid sharing beverages
  3. Don’t go to class if you’re sick.  Notify the Wellness Center (716) 880-2112 if you’re sick and a nurse will discuss with you recommendations.
  4. Go to the doctor if you are sick or having any symptoms of COVID
  5. Drink lots of fluids such as water, orange juice, Gatorade, soup, and herbal tea
  6. Get a flu shot yearly and make sure to consider getting a COVID vaccine and a COVID booster shot.  This can help prevent serious illness requiring hospitalization and helps protect you against long-COVID.
  7. Wear flip flops or shower shoes. (It helps prevent athlete’s foot and warts).
  8. Avoid sick friends.
  9. Try to avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth until you’ve washed your hands.  Those membranes makes it easy for bacteria and viruses to enter your body.
  10. Try simple over the counter remedies to help ease your symptoms.  Not sure what to take?  Let the Wellness Center know and we may make some recommendations or having something for you here.



There’s been a lot going on in the world for the past couple of years.  While stress can be normal and sometimes even useful, too much of it can cause you to not feel your best.  These tips can help you beat stress.

  1. Create a routine. Get yourself in the habit of studying, working out, and sleeping at certain hours.
  2. Put limits on work hours.
  3. Give yourself a break.
  4. Be realistic. Sometimes there is no way to get everything done.  Be realistic about your goals and understand that you can only do so much in one day.
  5. Understand you can’t do everything.  Focus on doing the things that you truly love.
  6. Get help. If you’re feeling overwhelmed reach out and ask for help from professors and friends.  The Wellness Center also has counseling services available if you are not able to manage your stress (716) 880-2339
  7. Try a meditation and yoga practice daily.
  8. Relax with hobbies.
  9. Give yourself plenty of time and cut back if needed.
  10. Spend time with friends
  11. Spend time outdoors
  12. Don’t let yourself get run down.
  13. Learn time management skills.



College students are in a high risk group for depression, so make sure you keep yourself happy and healthy with these simple tips.

  1. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  You are surrounded by a variety of resources that are all there to help you in any way that you need it.
  2. Keep in touch with family and friends. Beat homesickness with FaceTime and your social media. There’s nothing like talking to a family member or old friend to make you feel less lonely.  Reach out to new friends and share how you’re feeling.  Chances are they’re feeling the same things as you are.
  3. Build new friendships. Don’t be afraid to join clubs and get involved.  It’s a great way to make new friends.
  4. Expect things to change. 
  5. Understand that it may take time to fit in.  Remember Elle Woods from Legally Blonde?
  6. Don’t let stress get the best of you. If you’re feeling stressed, take a break and set aside time to relax.
  7. Realize you don’t have to please everyone. Concentrate on making YOURSELF happy.
  8. Know the signs of depression.  It can be hard to differentiate a simple slump from serious depression.  So learn the signs of depression not only for your own benefit but for the benefit of your friends as well.
  9. Build on your confidence.  Concentrate on what you excel in rather than your flaws.
  10. Find strength in numbers. You may have an easier time feeling good and fitting in if you find a group of students who share similar interests and values as you.
  11. Volunteer.  It feels good to do something that benefits others too.
  12. Get involved on campus.
  13. Set goals.  You’ll be more motivated and positive if you give yourself goals to work towards throughout the school year.



It’s smart to practice safety tips now that you’re living on your own and away from home.  Follow these precautions and you’ll lessen your chances of becoming a victim.

  1. Trust your gut.  You know that weird feeling you get when something is off?  If you start feeling like you shouldn’t be somewhere or with someone, make an excuse to get out of there fast.
  2. Be aware of your surroundings.
  3. Don’t walk alone at night.  Always walk with a friend.  Walk in well-lit areas, wear something reflective, have a phone light, and stay where people can easily see you.
  4. Keep mace in your purse or carry a whistle or get a BIRDIE personal alarm.
  5. Let people know where you are.
  6. Report suspicious activity to public safety (716) 880-2911
  7. Keep your dorm windows and doors locked.
  8. Don’t drink alcohol or take any substances that impair your ability to think clearly. 
  9. Wear a seat belt when in a vehicle, even when you’re a passenger in the back seat.  It can save your life.
  10. Don’t text or play with your phone while operating a vehicle. If you are in a car with someone who is distracted, don’t be afraid to say something to that person.
  11. If you’ve overindulged in drinking alcohol or another substance, call a cab, or a ride share such as UBER or LYFT, or get a designated driver or sober friend to bring you home.
  12. If you use UBER or LYFT, be sure to have them confirm WHO they are there to pick up before getting into any vehicle.



Here are a few other tips to keep you a healthy and active college student.

  1. Avoid walking to class in flip flops.  If you’re walking long distances, avoid the arch pain associated with them.
  2. Keep backpacks from being too heavy.  An overfilled backpack can hurt your back and leave you with some serious back and shoulder pain later.  Try a rolling carry-on bag if you have too much to carry.  You’re back will thank you later in life.  Trust.
  3. Quit smoking
  4. Quit vaping
  5. If you use marijuana, please do so with caution, and take breaks from it.  Marijuana stays in fat tissue for long periods of time. You can develop tolerance to it. It can impair short term and long term memory and mood. You can be arrested for driving while impaired. Edible sources can have a variable effect and it can be easy to overdose on it. It can have some negative side effects such as nausea, dizziness, vertigo, paranoia, dry mouth, etc. If you have questions, please reach out to the Wellness Center for more information.
  6. Make sure you have emergency contacts.  In case something happens to you, make sure the school and those around you know who to contact to get those you care about to you when you need their support.
  7. Wear sunscreen.
  8. Ensure that your medical insurance covers providers in the area.
  9. Monitor existing health concerns carefully.  If you leave for college knowing that you have a preexisting medical condition, make arrangements to ensure that it’s properly monitored while you’re at school.
  10. Assert yourself.  Don’t let anyone make health or wellness decisions for you that you feel uncomfortable with.  If you don’t want to eat something unhealthy, smoke, drink, take drugs, or engage in any kind of sexual activity, then don’t.



Student Health Services: 716-880-2112

Public Safety: 716-880-2911

Sister’s Hospital: 716-862-1000

Counseling Services: 716-880-2339

Crisis Services: 716-834-3131

Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988

^ Back to Top